Dr Daljit Gill
Principal Consultant Orthodontics
BDS, BSc, MSc, FDS RCS, MOrth, FDS (Orth) RCS (Eng)
Dr Daljit Gill is a consultant orthodontist at Great Ormond Street Hospital and UCLH Eastman Dental Hospital (UCLH NHS Foundation Trust) and UCL Eastman Dental Institute (University College London). He has extensive training in the management of all orthodontic problems in children and adults and has published three orthodontic textbooks and contributed chapters to others. He is Principal of Watford Orthodontics and also runs a practice within the Harley Street District of Central London.
Dr Gill is extensively involved in teaching and training future orthodontic specialists and annually supervises a number of MSc research projects. He is an examiner for the General Dental Council, University College London and the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Dr Gill's aim is to provide high quality patient-centred care employing the latest evidence–based principles. He can offer a number of appliance (brace) systems and is happy to undertake treatment for both simple and complex problems in adults and children.
- Gill DS. Orthodontics: At a glance. Wiley–Blackwell Publishing. Publication April 2008.
- Hobkirk, Gill, Jones, Hemmings, Bassi, Oâ€™Donnell, Goodman. Wiley–Blackwell Publishing.
- Hypodontia: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Publication December 2010.
- Gill and Naini. Orthodontics: Principals and Practice. Wiley–Blackwell Publishing. Publication October 2011.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Foulger TE, Tredwin CJ, Gill DS, Moles DR. The influence of varying maxillary incisal edge embrasure space and interproximal contact area dimensions on perceived smile aesthetics. Br Dent J. 2010 Aug 14;209(3):E4
- Izadi M, Gill DS, Naini FB.Retrospective study to determine the change in referral pattern to St George's Hospital Orthodontic Department before and after the 2006 NHS Dental Contract changes. Prim Dent Care. 2010 Jul;17(3):111–4
- Izadi M, Gill DS, Naini FB. A study to assess the quality of information in referral letters to the orthodontic department at Kingston Hospital, Surrey. Prim Dent Care. 2010 Apr;17(2):73–7
- Patel A, Tredwin CJ, Gill DS. Orthodontics using an occlusal splint: a clinical report. J Prosthodont. 2010 Feb;19(2):157–60. Epub 2009 Dec 16.
- Laing E, Ashley P, Naini FB, Gill DS. Space maintenance. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2009 May;19(3):155–62. Review
- Laing E, Cunningham S, Jones S, Moles D, Gill DS. The Psychosocial Impact of Hypodontia. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Jan;137(1):35–41.
- Naini FB, Gill DS. Body Dysmorphic Disorder: A Review. Dental Practice 2008 Apr;15(2):62–4.
- Acharya PN and Gill DS. The physical signs of child sexual abuse. An evidence–based review and guidance for best practice. British Dental Journal 2008 Jul 12;205(1):55
- Shah A, Gill DS, Tredwin C, Naini FB. Diagnosis and management of supernumerary teeth.Dent Update. 2008 Oct;35(8):510–2, 514–6, 519–20.
- Bukhary SM, Gill DS,
- Tredwin CJ, Moles DR. The influence of varying maxillary lateral incisor dimensions on perceived smile aesthetics. British Dental Journal. 2007 Dec 22;203(12):687–93.
- Bukhary SM, Gill DS, Tredwin CJ, Moles DR. The influence of varying maxillary lateral incisor dimensions on perceived smile aesthetics. British Dental Journal. 2007 Dec 22;203(12):687–93.
- Hassan T, Naini FB, Gill DS. The effects of orthognathic surgery on speech: a review. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2007 Dec;65(12):2536–43.
- Laing E, Ashley P, Gill DS, FB Naini. Oral hygiene and dental health. Dental Update, In Press.
- Naini FB, Gill DS. Tooth fracture associated with debonding a metal orthodontic bracket: A case report. World J Orthod. 2008 Fall;9(3):e78–82.
- Haskova JE, Gill DS, Figueiredo JA, Tredwin CJ, Naini FB. Taurodontism––a review. Dent Update. 2009 May;36(4):235–6, 239–40, 243. Review
- Minhas G, Gill DS, Hodge T. Orthodontic treatment in a case of florid fibro–osseous dysplasia. Journal of Orthodontics 2008 Jun;35(2):90–5.
- Gill DS, Jones S, Hobkirk J, Bassi S, Goodman J and Hemmings K. Councelling of patients with Hypodontia. Dental Update, 2008 Jun;35(5):344–6, 348–50, 352.
- Gill DS, Chaw Su, Tredwin C and Naini FB. The management of congenitally absent second premolars. Dental Update, 2006 May; 33(4):228–30, 233–4, 237–40.
- Campbell O, Gill DS and Naini FB. Consent and Orthodontics. Dental Update, In Press.
- Naini FB, Gill DS. The Medium Opening Activator: Design applications for the management of Class II, deep bite patients. World Journal of Orthodontics, Jan 2008.
- Otasevic M, Naini FB, Gill DS, Lee RT. Prospective randomized clinical trial comparing the effects of a masticatory bite wafer and avoidance of hard food on pain associated with initial orthodontic tooth movement. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2006 Jul;130(1):6.e9–15.
- Naini FB, Gill DS. Out of the mouths of clinicians. British Dental Journal. 2006 Oct 21;201(8):488–9.
- Gill DS, El–Maaytah M, Naini FB. Risk Factors for Post–Orthognathic Condylar Resorption. World Journal of Orthodontics 2008 Spring; 9(1):21–5. Review.
- Naini FB, Moss, Gill DS. The enigma of facial beauty: esthetics, proportions, deformity, and controversy. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2006 Sep;130(3):277–82.
- Aziz A, Tredwin C, Stokes A, Gill DS and Moles D. Influence of Surface Treatments on the Shear Bond Strength of Panavia 21 to a Type III Gold Alloy. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry. 2006 Jun;14(2):73–8.
- Gill DS, Naini FB, Tredwin C, Jones A. Part–time versus Full–time Retainer Wear Following Fixed Appliance Therapy: A Randomized Prospective Controlled Trial. World Journal of Orthodontics. 2007 Fall;8(3):300–6.
- Gill DS, Gill S, Naini FB. New guidelines for Basic Life Support. British Dental Journal, 2007 Feb 24;202(4):209–12
- Chia M, Gill DS and Naini FB. The Diagnosis and Treatment of Mandibular Assymetries. Dental Update, In Press.
- Naini FB and Gill DS. Facial Aesthetics: Concepts and Canons. Dental Update 2008 Mar;35(2):102–4, 106–7.
- Naini FB and Gill DS. Facial Aesthetics: Clinical Assessment. Dental Update 2008 Apr;35(3):159–62, 164–6, 169–70.
- Gill DS, Naini FB and Tredwin C. Smile Aesthetics. Dental Update, 2007 Apr;34(3):152–4, 157–8
- Naini FB, Gill DS and Tredwin C. The Management of Deep Overbite. Dental Update 2006 Jul–Aug;33(6):326–8, 330–2, 334–6.
- Gill DS and Lee R. Prospective clinical trial comparing the effects of conventional Twin–block and mini–block appliances: Part 1. Hard tissue changes. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, April 2005; 127: 465–472.
- Gill DS, Sharma A, Naini F and Jones S. The twin block appliance for the correction of Class II Malocclusion. Dental Update, April 2005; 32: 158–168.
- Gill DS, Naini F, McNally and A.Jones. The Management of Transverse Maxillary Deficiency. Dental Update, November 2004; 31:516–523.
- Gill DS, Noar J and Payne E. A laboratory based investigation comparing the resistance to displacement of removable appliances constructed using 0.7 or 0.8 mm diameter stainless steel Adams clasps. Quintessence Journal of Dental Technology, November 2004.
- Gill DS, Tredwin C, Gill S and Ironside J. The transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (prion diseases): A review for dental surgeons. International Dental Journal 2001; 51(6):439–446.
- Gill DS, Lee R and Tredwin C. Treatment Planning for the Loss of First permanent molars. Dental update 2001; Jul/Aug: 304–308.
- Grootveld M, Silwood C, Gill DS and Lynch E. Evidence for the microbicidal activity of a Chlorine dioxide containing oral rinse formulation in vivo. Journal of Dental Research 2001; 12(3): 67–70.
- Gill DS and Cunliffe D. Malignant lymphoma masquerading as an odontogenic Infection: Report of a case. Dental Update 2000; Apr: 132–136.
- Cunliffe D and Gill DS. Serum Amylase Levels Following Major Head and Neck Surgery. British Journal of Oral and MaxilloFacial Surgery 1999; Proc Suppl
- Anil S, Gill DS, Lal PM, Beena. Metastasis of Thyroid Carcinoma to the mandible: Report of a case. Australian Dental Journal 1999; 44(1): 56–57.
- Gill DS, Sharma V, Whitbread. Emergency Drugs in Dental Practice. Dental Update 1998; December: 450–461.
- Arenson MS and Gill DS. Differential Effects of an L–type Ca2+ Channel Antagonist on Activity– and Phosphorylation–enhanced Release of Acetyl–choline at the Neuromuscular Junction of the Frog. European Journal of Neuroscience 1996; 7: 437–445.
- Gill DS, Wakefield S, Kersey A, Seymour K, and Lynch E. The Effects of a Chlorine Dioxide Containing Mouth rinse on Salivary Mutans Streptococci, Lactobacilli and Candida. Journal of Dental Research 1996; Proc Suppl: 458.
- Gill DS. Cancer and Precancer in India. Dental Update 1996; 23: 149–151.
- Arenson MS and Gill DS. Okadaic Acid and Quantal Acetylcholine Release at the Frog Neuromuscular Junction in vitro: The Effect of Nimodipine. British Journal of Pharmacology 1995; 114 Proc Suppl: 434P.
Dr Hemendra Shah
BDS, MFDS RCSEng, MOrth RCSEd, DDS, FDS (Orth) RCSEng
Dr Shah qualified from Bristol Dental School in 2001. Following a year in general practice in Hertford, he moved to Leeds to complete his second year of General Professional Training as a Senior House Officer (SHO) in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery. During this period, he gained his Membership (Faculty of Dental Surgery) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He returned to Bristol in 2003 to continue as a SHO in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery followed by 6 months as an SHO in Paediatric Dentistry. After which he commenced his orthodontic specialist training in 2005.
Dr Shah completed his specialist training in Orthodontics in 2008 and was awarded a Doctorate in Dental Surgery (Orthodontics) from the University of Bristol and Membership in Orthodontics from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He continued his Senior Registrar training at Bristol Dental Hospital and Royal United Hospital in Bath, achieving the Intercollegiate Fellowship in Dental Surgery in Orthodontics to become a Consultant in Orthodontics in 2010.
Dr Shah is currently a Consultant at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading. He has previously held appointments at Great Ormond Street Hospital, Royal Derby Hospital, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital and Manor Hospital at Consultant level.
Dr Shah enjoys being an orthodontist, finding his role rewarding by making a difference to the lives and well being of his patients by improving their smile. He has wide clinical experience with a special interest in the multidisciplinary management of dentofacial deformity, developmentally absent teeth (hypodontia), cleft lip and palate and the treatment of adult patients.